Notice: Due To COVID-19, We Will Be Conducting All New And Existing Client Consultations Via Phone, Email or Zoom Video Conferencing. Please Don’t Hesitate To Call Us If You Have Any Questions.

Experience Makes The Difference Helping Protect Your Rights For 25 Years

Probation Violation Attorney in Dallas

Our Dallas Probation Lawyer Can Help

A major factor in defending a Dallas probation violation case is to determine what the defendant’s original offense was. Stricter violation penalties can be imposed on more serious crimes. If you've been charged for violating your probation, you should not hesitate to contact Peter Barrett.

The most important factors to consider for an alleged violation are:

  • What offense is the defendant on probation for?
  • What sort of probation violations is the defendant accused of committing?
  • What is the maximum possible sentence that the defendant is facing?

Navigating these legal nuances can be difficult. Call our Dallas criminal defense lawyer at (214) 307-8667 to get answers to your questions.

Technical vs. Substantive Violations

There is a big difference between “technical violations,” such as a missed probation appointment or failure to pay fees, and “substantive violations,” which can refer to being arrested for a new offense. Technical violations are often overlooked by the judge and will not result in probation being revoked, though it may result in stricter probation terms.

More serious substantive violations may result in the following sanctions:

  • A judicial reprimand where the judge speaks seriously about the violations
  • Time in jail as a condition of continuing probation
  • Adjudication of guilt if the defendant has been on deferred probation
  • Continuation of probation with additional conditions
  • Inpatient substance abuse treatment, including SAFP
  • Shock probation which consists of up to 180 days in prison
  • Revocation with a sentence of county jail time or prison

Determining What Type of Probation You Are On

The maximum sentence that a person faces depends on whether they are on regular probation or deferred adjudication probation. When you are on regular probation, you face being sentenced to several months or years in either jail or prison, depending on the seriousness of your offense. This sentence is then probated or suspended by the judge for a period of time.

Another type of probation that is sometimes available is “deferred adjudication.” Under this type of probation, a person pleads guilty and the judge instead places them on probation without conviction. If you violate deferred probation, you can face the full punishment.

Get Counsel Today—Call Our Firm at (214) 307-8667

If you are charged with probation violation, it may be possible to get a bond set for release while the motion to revoke is pending. This is usually advantageous because it allows you to comply with any judge recommendations as soon as possible. Our experienced Dallas criminal defense attorney has many contacts within the community that might benefit you and your case.

If you have been charged with a probation violation, contact us to make an appointment for a comprehensive consultation.

Client Testimonials

  • “Best Criminal Defense Attorney in Dallas.”


  • “Mr. Barrett is the best in the business.”

    Carlos Ramirez

  • “More Than Just an Attorney.”


  • “Professional, Trustworthy and Reliable Criminal Defense Attorney.”


  • “I was introduced to Mr. Barrett and he changed my life!!”


Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Filing a Motion to Suppress in Texas

    When it comes to criminal investigations and prosecutions, the evidence is critical. Since defendants are not supposed to be convicted of crimes ...

    Continue Reading
  • Third DWI Penalties in Texas

    In Texas, driving while intoxicated (DWI) is covered under Section 49.04 of the Texas Penal Code. This section covers the offense of driving under the ...

    Continue Reading
  • What is a White Collar Crime?

    In the criminal justice system, we have state and federal crimes , infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies. We also have capital felonies and ...

    Continue Reading

Contact Us: We're Available 24/7

Request your consultation by filling out the form or calling us at (214) 307-8667.
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.